Forum on Five Points crime deserves time

Police Chief Randy Scott and Mayor Steve Benjamin have said their piece about Five Points violence.

Many didn’t like it.

On Facebook and Twitter, you all — and we in this very space — argued that police should focus any crackdowns on the people actually committing violent crimes, not the drinking students they’re preying on.

University President Harris Pastides and Student Body President Kenny Tracy have since engaged city officials in conversation on the subject.
And now Tracy and Student Government are bringing that conversation to whichever students want to talk.

They’re holding an open forum today from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Russell House Theatre.

Say what you will about SG — hey, we often do — but Tracy and co. are working to give you all a voice in the community of which you’re such a crucial part.

Benjamin offered to be present at the forum, but SG has instead opted for a students-only discussion. After all, Benjamin and Pastides aren’t the ones being harassed by a cop at 3 a.m. outside Pavlov’s or, God forbid, assaulted on the sidewalk.

Don’t get us wrong — we’re not sold on the idea that one forum in the Russell House will miraculously fix the serious issues in Five Points.
But it’s a start. So, you should go. Or at least quit kvetching about the situation if you don’t care enough to go speak your mind.