Future student events need better planning

Student Government held a forum Tuesday open to the student body to discuss concerns and views about recent safety issues in Five Points, in hopes of better representing the student voice during SG’s upcoming meetings with Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin and other leaders.
But the forum wasn’t as successful as expected. Who showed up, apart from the SG leaders themselves? A whopping four students.

Clearly, that’s not close to the attendance rate SG was hoping for at the important event, especially one involving the safety of USC’s student body, and considering thousands of people have joined the “Fight Back for Five Points” Facebook page, started by students.

For the past few weeks, we’ve all been concerned about the escalating crime rate in Five Points. We’ve seen the issues downtown and Columbia police’s efforts to deal with them. When we have the chance to convey our ideas to people who make big decisions, being present and doing so is crucial. “Liking” issues online just isn’t enough.

That said, the lack of participation Monday afternoon was understandable. SG’s limited promotion included a Facebook post and a press release to The Daily Gamecock — both just days before the event. Just as important as it is for students to attend these events, the events first need to be advertised so students are aware of them. A day’s notice isn’t enough time for a group of students whose schedules are packed with work and classes.

If we want a cohesive voice as a student body in the future, we need to work together. SG needs to adequately promote events to bring students out to articulate their views, but when the next one is held, we, as students, need to show up.