Homeless deserve rights to shelter

Background check requirement unnecessary

They are everywhere. They are a fixture in almost every metropolitan area, not only here in the U.S. but across the globe. Due to the recent and continued economic downturn, their population has increased. We frequently pass by them, unaware and unconcerned of their plight and the struggles they face just to survive on a day-to-day basis.

The homeless, here in Columbia and all across the state of South Carolina, are a serious problem. From 2006 to 2010, the number of homeless students in South Carolina jumped from 6,033 to 10,820, according to the South Carolina State Board of Education. In the Richland County alone, the county in which the majority of USC’s campus lies, we have approximately 664 people who are homeless, and that only takes into account the people who live in our shelters. Homelessness is an epidemic and we need to start paying more attention to our fellow citizens.

To a certain extent, we have done so. We’ve established consortia such as the Midlands Area Consortium for the Homeless, and we have private, independent groups that are aiding the fight against homelessness. In fact, our own city council recently partnered up with local Christ Central Ministries, a religious organization that is dedicated to helping the homeless get back on their feet through medical, mental, or drug treatment, or even job assistance.

But Columbia’s city council has other things on its mind. Instead of trying to help the homeless to become more stable citizens, our government is more concerned about the bottom line and the fears of others. Instead of looking forward and realizing the economic benefit that could come to Columbia by lifting the homeless “up” with various treatments and therapies, our city council has decided to do just the bare minimum: Give the homeless a warm shelter during the winter.

While at first glance its seems like it’s enough, there’s a stipulation to the measure. The city is requiring that each person who wants to sleep at the shelter be subject to criminal background checks by the police. The City Council has caved into the demands of the shelter’s neighbors, who worry that criminals will use the shelter as a “hideout” and are concerned for the safety of their area.
This stipulation is not only a violation of the homeless’ civil rights and completely unnecessary, but it also demonstrates the narrow-mindedness of this community.. When it comes to safety, there’s no danger. Reported incidents between volunteer workers or the general population and the homeless are rare and almost nonexistent. In fact, the homeless should be the ones causing a stir due to the increased level of attacks against them across the country.

There is a difference between being vigilant and being overreacting, and it’s clear which describes our city council best.  When Rev. Jimmy Jones of Christ Central said that his “only interest is the needs of the disenfranchised,” I can’t help but wonder why that’s not our government’s main interest too.