‘Lattimore Day’ honors athlete appropriately

Rally shows respect for national role model

Oct. 29, 2012 was officially declared “Marcus Lattimore Day” by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, an appropriate way to honor one of USC’s greatest role models.

In a statement, Haley said, “I ask every South Carolinian to join our family as we lift up in prayer Marcus Lattimore and his mother Yolanda Smith during this challenging time. He has been more than just a Carolina football player — he is a great role model for our state,” according to The State.

In the governor’s proclamation, Lattimore was recognized for his numerous achievements, including his unanimous selection as National Freshman of the Year and SEC Freshman of the Year during his first year at USC. He was also cited as earning “the respect of his teammates, fans and people across the nation as an outstanding leader, exceptional athlete, and model citizen” in Haley’s letter. 

While many have criticized USC and South Carolina for putting so much emphasis on an athlete’s injury, Lattimore is more than deserving of the recognition. He has consistently proved to be an exceptionally hard worker that fans of all ages can look up to. 

USC does not always generate positive press attention, as demonstrated by the viral video of the notorious Woodlands pool party. However, Lattimore sheds a reputable light on USC, demonstrating that it is a place that houses intelligent and talented students. Oct. 29 can be a reminder for all of South Carolina that even through adversity, talent and hard work are recognized and appreciated.