Menzies savoring return to tennis

Harry Menzies
Harry Menzies

Lone senior playing again after missing entire junior season

While studying abroad in London this summer, completing a requirement for his international business major, USC tennis player Harry Menzies had the opportunity to watch the Wimbledon Championships. It was a rare occasion for the senior to watch professional tennis.

“I actually don’t watch as much as I probably should,” Menzies said. “A lot of the guys on the team love watching tennis. I don’t watch because it’s nice to get a break from it ... especially because I had my fair share of watching tennis last year. Pretty sore memories.”

Menzies did not compete his entire junior season after dealing with mono last fall, and he missed the first two tournaments this season due to a nagging injury in his foot and Achilles tendon.

But after a long recovery, Menzies competed in his first tournament, the ITA Carolina Regional, this weekend. While the results fell short of what Menzies hoped for, he looks forward to the tennis team’s final tournament of the fall, the Winthrop Invitational, as a chance to build his confidence before the spring season.

“It was tough to sit out there and watch everyone go through morning madness. I’d get through all the conditioning and sit there and watch practice for eight weeks while also trying to get through classes, when all I really wanted to do was sleep,” Menzies said. “But it’s awesome being back ... on the road playing, and competing with the block C on the chest is pretty nice.”

Menzies, who grew up in Charlotte, N.C., first picked up a racket when he was about 18 months old. He said tennis is in his blood, as his grandmother, Kay Stammers, won Wimbledon twice in doubles, in 1935 and 1936, as well as the French Open in 1935. He said his father, aunt and uncle all played tennis as well.

Since his family lives nearby, he said his parents come to Columbia every weekend during the spring season to watch him play.

Menzies is the only senior on the roster this year, naturally pushing him into a leadership role.

“I feel like the old man on the team,” Menzies said. “It’s really weird, but it’s nice to be able to help the guys, especially with academics. Most of the guys can take care of themselves on the courts.”

Menzies and Ben Barnette are the only Gamecocks competing at Winthrop next weekend. Coach Josh Goffi said the tournament will give the two players a chance for additional reps, since they missed playing time last spring.

“Out of those guys, what we’re looking for is basically to put a string of matches together,” Goffi said. “We’re trying to get them to where they can put all the things we’ve been working through this fall into action.”

For Menzies, as he sets his sights on a successful senior season, next weekend’s tournament will be another stepping stone on the road to recovery, as he looks forward to a spring season where he will be in the midst of the action on the court rather than watching from the sidelines.

“I’ve been working a lot on some new things on the court,” Menzies said. “The first tournament back, I was excited and nervous to get out there. Some things didn’t fall my way in a couple of matches, but I think if I just keep working and trust the game plan that the coaches and I are working on, good things will come.”