Old mill should be converted to student housing

Designating structure to be landmark wasteful

As groups began to quarrel over what to do about an old cotton warehouse located between Huger Street and USC’s Greek Village, Mayor Steve Benjamin asked city planners and the City Council to have the structure designated a Columbia landmark.

Though the building is listed in the National Historic Register, the its location would be ideal for private USC student housing, an amenity that is currently limited. According to The State, Benjamin declared that attempts to repurpose the building are not “economically feasible.” This conclusion, however, is unreasonable, as there are viable ways to restore the building and obtain a higher economic gain by converting it into private student housing.

The building, spread across 11 acres, would be able to accommodate 800 students. With on-campus housing so scant for upperclassmen, private student housing options close to campus are crucial, especially for those unable to provide their own mode of transportation. Few apartment complexes offer accessibility and quality, but this one could offer both.

Restoration of old buildings into student housing has proved a wise decision in the past, as Olympia and Granby Mills, former historic cotton mills, now house a vast number of USC students. Though the renovation may be costly, the benefits would be immense, and the USC student community would be able to access convenient housing without having to give up the luxuries that complexes farther away from campus offer.