Sanders looks for return opportunities despite Wing's skill

Junior Ace Sanders had a 70-yard punt return for a touchdown last week against Georgia.

Byrd stands out as vice because of speed, decision-making

Junior Ace Sanders had a strong performance on special teams against Georgia, scoring USC’s third touchdown of the game on a 70-yard punt return in the first quarter.

The junior’s 70 return yards on the day were his second-highest total of the season, trailing only the 106 yards he put up in six returns against Missouri. But LSU’s punter, sophomore Brad Wing, may make it tougher for Sanders to match the number of return yards he put up in those two games.

Wing averages more than 45 yards per punt, with eight punts of more than 50 yards on the season. Special teams coach Joe Robinson said Wing has a strong leg and mixes the ball well all over the field.

But despite Wing’s skill, Robinson said Sanders and the special teams will still have a chance to make game-changing plays.

“There’s always an opportunity,” Robinson said. “We have an opportunity to come after the punt, and we have an opportunity to try to return. Obviously Brad is a fine punter ... but there will be a chance if we execute.”

Robinson has called Sanders a courageous player throughout the season, but he said the rest of the special teams will need to step up and cut down on critical mistakes to give their returner the chance for long returns.

“We’re seeing some good things, but we were very sloppy (against Georgia),” Robinson said. “[Sanders] had another return that we committed two fouls on. We’ve got a guy back there that does some good things ... but the rest of the team has to play along. If we do the right things, we can have a positive impact for the team.”

The Gamecocks had no kick returns in the first three weeks of the season, but sophomore Bruce Ellington has had one in each of USC’s last three games.

Byrd excels at vice: Sophomore Damiere Byrd has contributed to the special teams as the vice, the player who pressures the opposing team’s kicker or punter. Robinson said speed is a prerequisite to succeed at that position, but he has other skills that make him an elite vice.

“One of the requirements is speed ... because obviously he can find himself in that open field and have a chance to make a play,” Robinson said. “But he has executed the technique that we have asked as [well] as anybody I’ve ever been around. I’m very proud of him.”

Robinson said the vice also needs to be perceptive and make quick decisions to carry out other responsibilities that help the special teams.

“There are times when we ask him to pull the trigger and go downhill,” Robinson said. “You’ve got a guy that’s running people down, but you’ve also got a guy that’s pulling the trigger when the time is right.”

Hull’s performance more consistent: Sophomore punter Tyler Hull had four punts for 150 total yards against Georgia, with two inside the 20-yard line. After averaging 27 yards in three punts against Kentucky, including one blocked punt, Hull showed improved consistency in extending the field for the Bulldogs’ offense last week.