Shaw's steadiness an asset for USC

Junior quarterback's demeanor, consistent play key for game against No. 5 Georgia

Watching the Cowboys and the Bears play on “Monday Night Football,” South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier had a revelation about his own quarterback.

After Dallas quarterback Tony Romo’s five-interception performance, Spurrier had a renewed appreciation for USC junior quarterback Connor Shaw’s steady play. As the No. 6 Gamecocks prepare for No. 5 Georgia, Shaw’s even play and demeanor has been an asset as hype and attention around the program continues to build.

“Watching that pro game last night with all the interceptions and the quarterback being hit and fumbling, I was thinking, ‘Our guy doesn’t do that — hopefully,’” Spurrier said. “Hopefully our guy doesn’t do those kinds of things. That’s what we want so much with Connor, not necessary the brilliant plays, but the lack of those real bad plays that really hurt you. 

“The ability to just take care of the ball is something he’s really good at. Every now and then I’ll say, ‘Could you have fired that one in there?’ He said, ‘It looked a little too sticky,’ or something, so he took off and ran for 10 yards. He did that the other night against Kentucky a couple times. He can sort of take over the game when nothing’s there.”

When USC couldn’t catch a break against the Wildcats, aside from being unable to run in a touchdown on two attempts from the 1-yard-line, Shaw didn’t make any crucial errors. He was 15-of-18 for 148 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. Running the ball, he tallied 76 yards on 19 carries. Against Missouri, coming off a shoulder fracture, Shaw had 20 consecutive completions.

Sophomore wide receiver Damiere Byrd said Shaw was “steady” throughout the first half of the game at Kentucky, when USC took a 17-7 deficit into halftime.

“He’s our leader, and that’s the guy that gets us going -— he got us going in the locker room,” said tailback Marcus Lattimore after the game.

“Connor is a gamer,” said redshirt senior center T.J. Johnson. “He’s just one of those quarterbacks that we love to have behind us. He’s the kind of guy you want to fight for. That makes a big difference as offensive linemen. We love Connor. We love everything he does for us, and we want to fight for that extra inch for him.”

Johnson said Shaw has been more comfortable with the offense as he’s gained experience, especially with USC using different schemes, ranging from the I-formation to the zone read. Spurrier said the Gamecocks “probably have too much in the playbook every week,” but that Shaw is a student of the game, so it’s also helped him avoid costly mistakes despite the complexity.

“Connor knows this offense as well as anybody,” Spurrier said. “Whatever we’re working on that week, he studies all the ball plays and knows where everybody is going. It is very helpful for a quarterback to know where everybody is going. Certainly as well as any quarterback here, he knows what is going on.”

After the slow start against Kentucky, Shaw said after the game the team talked about how it couldn’t have sluggish play in the first half against a team like Georgia. He said players would probably be talking about it on the plane ride home.

With ESPN’s College GameDay coming to campus and major implications in the SEC East at stake, Shaw’s consistent and calm demeanor and style of play is exactly what USC will need from one of its leaders this week.

“He never gets too up, and he never gets too down,” said senior spur DeVonte Holloman. “You like to see that from somebody who’s always in control of the ball or in control of the game — not getting too frustrated or too happy. That’s what you look for in a leader. We’re not hyping it up. We know it’s a big game — that doesn’t have to be said.”