Technology changes world of publishing

Writer skill set no longer what it used to be

The world of publishing and writing is now forced to re-invent itself or be left behind, all because of technology.

The finalists for the National Book Award were announced this month in four different categories: fiction, nonfiction, poetry and young people’s literature. This year’s nominees encompass a wide range of writers. Some, such as Dave Eggers, are already prominent, while others, such as Kevin Powers, have just made their debut. All of these authors have had to face a drastically different publishing world to receive their nomination. 

When most of these writers started work on their nominated works, Borders was still in business. That longtime bookstore chain has since gone out of business. 

Instead of buying a new book at the store, many readers now download the e-book. While the Internet has offered new ways to expand knowledge and literature, it also comes with concessions. Bootlegs of books are nearly as common as leaked songs. Public domain laws allow some books to be accessed free online, negating any need for consumers to purchase books in a bookstore.

Along with bookstores, authors are trying to find their place in the age of technology. It is imperative for them to use social media and interactive websites in order to promote themselves and their works. In order to be a successful author in the 21st century, you have to be equal parts author and entrepreneur.

While it is imperative that new ideas are acted upon for society to evolve, it is also important that we don’t forget to adapt to each different industry.