Alicia Keys catches flame on new album

R&B singer preaches girl power, shows off vocal chops on latest disc

Three years have passed since Alicia Keys released a studio album, and a lot has happened since 2009’s “The Element of Freedom.” The R&B songstress married rapper Swizz Beatz, gave birth to a son named Egypt, co-produced the Broadway play “Stick Fly” and directed a short film called “Five.” Keys has also moved to RCA Records as her original label, Artista Records, disbanded last year. With all of the living she’s been doing, Keys is ready to burst into flames.

“Girl on Fire,” Keys’ latest disc, hits stores Tuesday. The album is filled with danceable tracks, all-star cameos, a little Latin flavor and the same soulful singing that made listeners take notice. 

The album kicks off with “De Novo Adagio (Intro),” an instrumental interlude that shows off the singer’s skill on the piano. The track is followed by “Brand New Me,” on which she sings “It’s been a while / I’m not who I was before.” Not a lie.

“When It’s All Over” has a sweet melody and an adorable guest appearance by Keys’ son Egypt as he tries to follow his mother’s beat and repeatedly tells her “I love you.” It’s hard not to smile while listening to that one. 

“New Day” sounds a bit like a Beyonce track and is suitable for a bumping party or dance club. The drumline beat and electric keyboards blend well together, and the positive message makes this one a great addition to a workout playlist. Keys sings, “I’m gonna give it my all whether I rise or fall,” and it seems like she really lives by her own advice.

The title track, which features slick rhymes by Nicki Minaj, is the ultimate empowerment anthem. Keys’ voice soars on a simple chorus, and it wouldn’t matter what lyrics she’s singing: Her smooth, soulful soprano melts your heart and is absolutely entrancing. Minaj’s raps are a nice surprise in the middle of Keys’ vocal gymnastics, but the pair works well together. “She’s just a girl, but she’s on fire” is inspiring, cementing Keys’ status as a strong role model for young ladies.  

“Fire We Make” is a sexy slow jam featuring soul/funk singer Maxwell. Maxwell’s falsetto range is impressive, and his crooning voice is a great match for Keys. The track, which features jazzy horns mixed with electric guitars, would be fitting to spin on a mix CD with the likes of Marvin Gaye and Boyz II Men. 

“Tears Always Win” is reminiscent of earlier Keys hits like “Fallin’” and “No One,” but the singer rises above heartache this time. “Not Even the King” is a stripped-down, piano-driven tune that probably sounds incredible live. You can hear the diva breathe between words and her gentle fingers dance across the ivories. No Auto-tune necessary here.

Even though Keys has been in the music business for more than a decade, “Girl on Fire” is fresh and groovy, evidence that the musician is more than a one-hit wonder. The songs are strong and unlike most the messages sung by female singers on Top 40 radio. America needs a voice like hers — we all need to be on fire.