Defense prepares for triple option

Gamecocks looking to stop running game after consecutive pass offenses

After facing two pass-heavy offenses, the South Carolina defense will see a different style of play from Wofford this Saturday.

Last week alone, the Razorbacks threw 41 times against South Carolina. Wofford is averaging seven pass attempts per game with its triple-option offense.

The Gamecocks will have to switch from focusing on pass defense to run defense when it faces the unconventional offense on Saturday.

“We’ve got to be ready to stop the run,” sophomore defensive end Jadeveon Clowney said. “We’re going to pretty much win the game if we stop them.”

Clowney added that he “hates” the triple-option offense.

Even though the Terriers have just 72 pass attempts this season, USC secondary coach Grady Brown said USC’s defensive backs will have to stay on their toes.

“They will put you to sleep with the run, run, run,” Brown said. “If you aren’t disciplined with your eyes and with your technique, you can easily give up 200 and some-odd yards passing and a couple of touchdowns. So from a corner and post-safety standpoint, we have to make sure that we execute our responsibilities and play with our eyes in the right place.”

The run game is the first priority when facing a triple-option offense. The Terriers are one of the best in the country, averaging 357 rushing yards per game. Wofford already has 35 touchdowns on the ground this season.

“When you play the option, it’s about discipline,” Lawing said. “You have to get them behind schedule. If you can make it second-and-10, second-and-11, that’s where you got a shot. My experience with the option is that you’re not going to stop it — you can try and contain it.”

A majority of the teams that run the triple-option use the cut block when on offense, a block that is designed to take out the legs of a defender. Lawing said the Terriers rely on out-leveraging their opponent.

Linebacker coach Kirk Botkin said the team must be wary of Wofford because triple-option teams are looking for the home run on every play.

“They’re going to try and block everybody,” Botkin said. “It’s tough to prepare for. You load the box but you still have to have a guy on the quarterback, have to have a guy on the dive and have to have a guy on the pitch. It’s a challenge.”

The Gamecocks have had their fair share of troubles against triple-option offenses. The last two games USC has played against the Terriers haven’t been decided until the fourth quarter. Last season against Navy, one of the premier triple-option offense in the country, the Gamecocks won by only three points.

“We want to keep them out the end zone, that’s for sure,” defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward said. “We understand that they’re going to make some plays because of the style of offense. Hopefully we can slow them down better than some of the option offenses that we have played in the past.”

The defense will have a different look to it, as senior DeVonte Holloman will be moving back to the spur position after spending last week at strong safety. D.J. Swearinger will return to the safety spot after playing corner against Arkansas.

Ward said that his unit must focus on their assignments and play smart if they want to win.

“There’s a lot of moving parts in option (offenses),” Ward said. “It comes down to being disciplined. If you don’t let all those moving parts affect your eyes, then we’ll be successful. If we do let the moving parts get us, we’re going to be in for a long day.”