Notebook: Ward shuffles secondary

Shaw reinjures foot; Arkansas had plan for Clowney

In recent years, stopping the Razorbacks’ passing game has been all but impossible for the Gamecocks.

The first half in this year’s game was no different, but defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward said personnel changes the team made paid off in the long run in USC’s 38-20 victory.

The Gamecocks moved senior DeVonte Holloman from spur to strong safety, which placed senior Damario Jeffery at spur. Senior D.J. Swearinger played at cornerback, setting up a nickel package that allowed USC to match Arkansas’ offense when it had three receivers on the field.

Although the Gamecocks allowed 192 passing yards in the first half, the defense made adjustments in the second half to better contain Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson.

“I would prefer not to give up yards,” Ward said. “But if we’re going to give up yardage and then come up with a big play, I’m happy with that also.”

In three consecutive losses against the Razorbacks prior to Saturday’s win, the Gamecocks allowed 299 passing yards at Arkansas last year.

Ward said a key to South Carolina’s improvement this year was playing more zone coverage because the offensive system set up by former Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino, which is heavy in crossing routes for receivers, is designed to beat man coverage.

“I felt like if we had played more zone coverage in the past, we would have had a better chance of beating Arkansas,” Ward said. “For whatever reason, in the past we didn’t do that.”

Prior to this week’s game, the defense had played mostly three-deep coverage, but Ward said the Gamecocks used that scheme only two or three times against Arkansas.

He also said that next week against Wofford, a team that relies on the run, Holloman would return to the spur position.

Clowney faces added coverage: Arkansas adjusted its offense to match sophomore defensive end Jadeveon Clowney throughout the game. Ward said he tried to move Clowney around early on because the Razorbacks had a tight end chipping him, but when the sophomore played in the 3-technique, Arkansas slid two linemen over to contain him.

Ward said he was not surprised by Clowney’s ability to make plays despite Arkansas’s schemes to stop him, saying that he expected nothing else from a No. 1 high school recruit.

“They had a plan for him,” Ward said. “That’s what everybody’s going to do. I told him if we was going to wait to get some one-on-one blocking, probably wait until he gets to the NFL two years from now.” 

Possible suspension: A third-quarter hit that earned Swearinger a personal foul may cost the senior his second suspension of the season. Swearinger said after the game that his reputation might take away any benefit of the doubt.

Ward said he needs to adjust his style of play and start tackling low to avoid penalties.

“I think that’s what the game has come to,” Ward said. “Now you’re going to see more people get knee injuries, but that’s the way the game is.”

Injury update: Junior quarterback Connor Shaw, who has been dealing with a foot sprain since USC played Tennessee two weeks ago, said after the game that the injury bothered him at times but that the pain was “tolerable.” Coach Steve Spurrier said in his Sunday conference call that Shaw should be able to practice by Wednesday.

Sophomore defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles, who missed two games because of a shoulder sprain, made his first start since USC played at LSU. Senior cornerback Akeem Auguste also returned after a groin injury. Auguste finished the game with three tackles and an interception.