Dance Marathon rallies ‘for the kids’ at Tuesday event

Donning “Too Legit to Sit” T-shirts, Dance Marathon organizers show how to do one of the dances they will teach at the 24-hour event.

Written by Paula Novacki

Event encourages registration for annual 24-hour fundraiser

USC’s Dance Marathon executive board hosted its first-ever registration rally Tuesday evening with hopes of getting more students to register for the March event.

“Our goal is to raise excitement for USCDM and celebrate all great things for kids this semester,” said Jillian Kral, the group’s overall director and a fourth-year tourism management student.

USC will host its 15th annual 24-hour dance marathon March 1, 2013, which will benefit the Children’s Miracle Network, a nonprofit organization that raises money for 170 children’s hospitals across the country. Proceeds from the event will go to Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital.

“We had 321 people registered for this event before today,” Kral said of the marathon. “We hope this event will raise awareness and that we can strongly exceed our numbers from last year.”

In addition to an on-the-spot registration discount, the board enticed students with tables of koozies and T-shirts for sale, holiday cards to decorate for children and hospital staff and food donated by Panera Bread, Insomnia Cookies and Fatz.

Appearances by two “Miracle families,” which are families of children who are cancer survivors, were scheduled for the event, but were canceled. Instead, the event showed videos that shared the stories of some of the children.

“One of my friends just started Dance Marathon at the University of Arizona after hearing about ours,” said Leslie Knight, the dancer relations director and a second-year public relations student. “If we just get one more person to get as passionate as we are, then this really is all worth it.”

Knight said the Children’s Miracle Network lies close to heart, as it is both the philanthropy for Dance Marathon and her sorority, Phi Mu.

“We are so fortunate to have Palmetto Health so close to us,” Knight said. “I get to put names with faces and get to know the kids.”

The highlight of the night included the premiere of USCDM’s promotional video to One Direction’s hit “Live While We’re Young.” 

The USCDM executive board and morale team leaders, dressed in various costumes and shirts that read, “Too Legit to Sit,” also performed one of the dances they’ll be teaching during the event.

“You definitely don’t have to be a dancer to participate,” Knight said. “We teach you everything you need to do.”

Knight also said that this year, she’ll be asking her family for donations for the Children’s Miracle Network in lieu of Christmas gifts.

“Being so involved has given me a new perspective,” Knight said. “These are kids fighting for a next Christmas.”

Kral said she’s most excited to see other students adopt that mind-set as March approaches.

“I am looking forward to seeing how excited everyone on campus is this year and how many people are motivated to ‘stand for kids who can’t,’” Kral said. “That really is the whole premise for standing and dancing for 24 hours.”