Man drives into brick wall in Five Points, charged with drunken driving, unlawful urination

21-year-old Columbia man charged in Thursday morning event

A 21-year-old man drove into a brick retaining wall in Five Points early Thursday morning in an alleged drunken driving incident, according to police.

After police got word about the wreck on Saluda Avenue, near the Walgreens in Five Points, an officer found a car with “heavy” front-end damage and the 21-year-old Columbia man sitting behind it with his genitals exposed around 2:30 a.m. Thursday, according to an incident report.

William Inbody, of Columbia, is charged with drunken driving and unlawful urination.

According to the report, Inbody struggled to stand long enough to take a field sobriety test and to speak clearly, and an officer wrote that he smelled of alcohol.

Inbody was later taken to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center, but before the trip, it turns out he had to go to the bathroom — and to police headquarters.

Before the trip to headquarters, for a Breathalyzer test, he urinated in a bush in front of the officer, according to the report.

The test, which he took voluntarily, returned a blood-alcohol content of .22, above the .08 legal limit for drivers, according to the report.

Afterward, Inbody asked to use the bathroom and was allowed to do so, but he urinated on the wall and the floor of the test room before he was taken to the jail. He was released late Thursday afternoon, a jail employee said.