USC names first Palmetto College chancellor

Susan Elkins to leave Tennessee Technological University for $185,000 per year job

USC named Susan Elkins its first chancellor of the fledgling Palmetto College program Monday.

Elkins has worked at the Tennessee Technological University since 1991, most recently as the vice president of extended programs and regional development and the dean of the College of Interdisciplinary Studies.

Speaking about the program last month, Provost Michael Amiridis said the new chancellor will be tasked with getting the fledgling program, which will combine USC’s existing two-year regional campuses with an online program for students who have already completed 60 credit hours, off the ground and marketing it to South Carolina residents and the state’s general assembly.

Elkins was picked from a slate of more than 40 applicants, a list that was narrowed to four finalists last month. Each of the finalists gave a public presentation on their vision for the new program on campus last month.

Elkins will also have a hand in picking a candidate for open dean positions at three of the Palmetto College’s four two-year campuses, at Lancaster, Sumter and Union.

In all, those searches have cost nearly $200,000. USC paid Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search $60,000 for coordination of the chancellor search and $45,000 for each of the deans.

Check back at dailygamecock.com for more details.