Warner ‘responds when team needs him’

Junior Jay Warner was part of the Gamecocks’ winning 200 medley relay last weekend.

Junior helps Gamecocks sweep final home meet

Jay Warner started getting serious about swimming during his senior year in high school.

But the junior never expected to be among the top swimmers at South Carolina. His accomplishments as a Gamecock include a school record and an appearance at 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials in an event he said he didn’t consider his strongest.

“It’s kind of surreal. I never thought I’d be in a position like that,” Warner said. “It’s tough to live up to that expectation, but it’s nice to have that title and be able to represent your team like that.”

Warner competed in the 100-meter butterfly at Olympic Trials. He finished 21st in the event at SEC Championships last season.

“That was more surreal than anything. It was a lot of fun to be there and experience it,” Warner said.

He also set the school record in the 100 backstroke in the preliminaries at SEC Championships as a freshman with a time that was more than three seconds faster than his previous best.

“My freshman year, I hadn’t been swimming real well and then all of a sudden at the meet, I just felt really good and went out there and swam as hard as I could,” Warner said. “It was unbelievable.”

He attributes his success to training, especially with the Director of Aquatic Strength Josh Morgan. He said adding weights made him stronger and helped build his endurance in the water.

Coach McGee Moody recognized Warner as a swimmer who responds when the team needs him. Warner was part of the 200 medley relay that took first place last weekend, and he finished second behind teammate Alex Fitton in the 100 freestyle, helping the Gamecocks sweep the College of Charleston, Queens and Wingate in their final home meet of the season.

The previous weekend against Florida State, Warner won the 100 backstroke.

“The last two weeks have been pretty good for him,” Moody said.

The junior said he has learned to go all-out in every race and to rely on his team.

“We’ve definitely come together and gotten a lot closer as a team, and because of that we swam a lot better,” Warner said.

While the junior said he would like to improve his technique and his turns in the water, he said he also strives to be someone the underclassmen on the team can look up to. Warner said he’s “more of a quiet leader.”

“I lead by example and I feel like when I’m able to swim fast it pumps people up and allows them to get ready for their race and perform better,” Warner said.

The Gamecocks will end their regular season Saturday, when they face Alabama and Georgia at Tuscaloosa, Ala. As USC tries to extend its winning streak, the team will look for an improved performance from Warner in what Moody called “his best time of the year.”

“Jay’s the kind of guy who when we need people to be fast, he’s going to be there,” Moody said. “Next week he’ll be even sharper.”