Paloma Faith brings British songstress market back to life

‘Fall to Grace’ establishes singer’s strong sound in US industry

In a world with the likes of Adele, Duffy, Emelie Sande and the late Amy Winehouse, it’s easy to believe that British soul songstresses have said all they have to say. Or sing, as they case may be. 

Paloma Faith is out to disprove that completely. 

A  newcomer to the U.S. music scene, Faith has managed to carve out her own unique place in a world inundated with great talent. 

Her first album, “Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful?” which was only released in the United Kingdom, went platinum and showed that Faith was not about to shy away from the public’s high standards. Her second album, “Fall to Grace,” which is currently out in the U.S., expands on her first and echoes the singer’s quirky sense of ... well, everything. 

Her voice is soulful, much like her fellow female English voices, but it has a certain bite to it that isn’t found anywhere else. Faith is also more likely to experiment with less accessible backtracks and instrumentations. Her songs vary from slow, heartfelt piano ballads to borderline dance tracks. 

In “Just Be,” one of her best tracks off “Fall to Grace,” Faith lets her voice take control over a scarce piano accompaniment. In contrast, “Blood Sweat & Tears” and “Freedom” are both backed by dance beats. 

However she chooses to arrange a song, Faith knows what she’s doing. And she knows how to sing. 

While tricky arrangements are sometimes cover-ups for less than stellar voices, that is not the case with Faith. Her voice is more than able to stand their ground against whatever arrangement she chooses.

Second only to her voice is Faith’s dramatic personality. Once a cabaret singer, she is no stranger to theatrical effect. When she was asked to carry the torch for the 2012 London Olympics, she did so gladly, complete with bouffant hair, vintage Ray Bans and 6-inch, red stilettos. 

Her music videos are full of strange, half-real worlds in which Faith is as much the actress as the singer. Her eccentricities are part of what makes her captivating but also part of what might hold her back in the U.S. While American audiences are more than used to their share of quirks, they are more likely to assume that her personality is just an act.

And, according to Faith, it’s not. 

In a recent interview in the LA Times, she said that her quirkiness is just her personality. “I’ve always enjoyed ... standing out from the crowd,” she said. And it’s hard to doubt her, because another thing that makes Faith a voice to be reckoned with is her confidence. 

No matter what she’s singing or what she’s saying, you never doubt that she means what she says, and she knows what she’s doing. 

“Fall to Grace” is well worth a listen by anyone looking for a powerful soul singer or someone just looking for good music. Every track has a little something different, from retro to hints of dubstep. 

The standout first single and first track on the album, “Picking Up the Pieces,” hits you from the first note. That’s what makes Faith so fascinating and memorable. She hits you from the very beginning.