Softball opens up new season

USC expected to have added pitching depth, new stadium in 2013 season

Senior pitcher Audrey Broyles has been in a Gamecock uniform for a while now. And with that, she has been a part of many of losses. During her four years at USC, the Gamecocks have won just 16 SEC games.

As the Gamecocks prepare to begin a new season this weekend, Broyles said she and her teammates don’t plan on being at the bottom of the conference this season.

“I can say this honestly: we hate to lose,” Broyles said. “Like, hate it. We refuse to lose. It’s a very excited feeling you can have when you can look into every teammate’s eyes and see that they have that same passion, that same drive that whatever it takes to win, we are going to do it."

“I absolutely believe that that is going to get us where we need to be this season. The newcomers, the freshmen, everyone just bought into the system and we are just so excited to get out there and win some games.”

The Gamecocks will try to improve without three of their top five offensive players from last season. However, even with the departure of some firepower, USC will still have its fair share of run producers.

Senior Samie Garcia, who will return to shortstop and hit leadoff this season, returns after hitting .362 with seven homeruns and 28 RBIs last season while recording a team-high 41 runs. As an added honor, Garcia was named captain of this year’s team.

Also returning is junior outfielder/designated hitter Chelsea Hawkins, who hit .309 with seven homeruns and 29 RBIs last year.

“We lost a big senior class last year with nine of them leaving,” coach Beverly Smith said. “But I tell you what; I really feel like we are going to be led by our seniors this season.”

Freshman Alaynie Page, who Smith says will be the starter in left field, will have a chance to make an immediate impact in the outfield. Page had “an excellent fall,” according to Smith, third-year coach.

Other freshmen expected to be in the mix for playing time are Ansley Ard and Lauren Masters.

Broyles will be the leader of a pitching staff that expects to have more depth than it did in 2011. Last year, the Gamecocks only had four pitchers due to the absence of sophomore Julie Sarratt, who missed all of 2011 because of surgery on her elbow.

Smith said incoming freshman Katie Marks will have a big impact on the mound this season and redshirt sophomore Julie Sarratt, who led USC in complete games, innings pitched and strikeouts her freshman season, appears to be on track to contribute innings, too.

“You can see the progression with Julie,” Smith said. “After a year off, you can see her getting stronger every day; her pitches are moving and breaking more and she is pitching with more confidence every day. I think she is going to be in the lineup every day, whether she is pitching or at first base.”

The new Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field is scheduled to open at the team’s home opener against Furman on March 13.

For Broyles, that day cannot come soon enough.

“A couple of days ago, we actually got to get out on the field and take some ground balls,” Broyles said. “I got chills when I walked on the field and stepped on that mound. It is so exciting, and I can’t wait to see it filled with all of our family and fans.”