Women's tennis prepares for Furman

Junior Katerina Popova has been a key contributor to the team so far this season in both singles and doubles.

Popova hopes to improve game before conference play begins

Throughout the season, women’s tennis head coach Kevin Epley has insisted on professionalism and energy from his team, and with three matches left before SEC play starts, he says it’s a work in progress.

USC will travel to in-state rival Furman Wednesday in a mid-week matchup that will be the final contest of the team’s six-match road trip.

No. 30 South Carolina will enter the day having just split a two-game tour of Virginia after beating VCU and suffering a loss at William & Mary, Epley’s former stomping grounds.

“A lot of people had the feeling that I’d left William & Mary to come to South Carolina,” Epley said. “So they were cheering a little louder, a little harder against us.”

Despite the slighted attitude some William & Mary fans may carry with them, Epley says there is no bad blood between him and his former employer.

Being away from home has not been good to the 4-3 Gamecocks this season. They have received all of their losses on the road, with one away victory, two at home and one on neutral ground to round out their record.

Junior Katerina Popova has been a key contributor to USC in the season so far, compiling a 4-1 singles record and a 6-1 doubles mark including singles and doubles victories in the losing effort in Williamsburg. Part of the reason for the Moscow native’s hot start could be the pressure she puts on herself.

“She’s a very motivated player, very organized and meticulous, knows her game very well,” Epley said. “She’s one of our most self-sustained players. She doesn’t require a lot of hand-holding.”

Last season Popova had the second-most singles wins on the team, putting together a 22-12 record, and she led the team in doubles wins with her partner, senior Josefin Andersson, finishing with a 17-9 mark.

Popova admits she is looking ahead to conference play, but for now she’s trying to stay focused on the task at hand.

“I do, right now, what I’m supposed to do for coaches,” Popova said. “I’m trying to improve my game so when it comes to the SEC I’m ready to go.”

The Furman Paladins will carry a three-match losing streak into Wednesday’s contest, with their latest loss coming at the hands of Troy in a 4-1 decision. However, Epley is determined not to let his team underestimate its opponent.

“Furman’s dangerous,” Epley said. “So we need to be ready for them.”

Senior Lauren Kline, ranked 110th in the nation individually, is the driving force behind the Paladins, as she occupies the No. 1 spots in both singles and doubles for Furman. She has posted a 1-2 singles record to go with a 0-3 doubles record in Furman’s last three losing efforts.

The match will commence at 5 p.m. in Greenville, and then South Carolina will take on the College of Charleston and Charleston Southern in a doubleheader Saturday.

With the opening act of the spring season coming to a close, Epley is still looking for improvement out of his team — mentally and physically.

“I don’t think we ever get where we want to be,” Epley said. “We’re definitely getting there, but we still have work to do.”