In our opinion: Recent CP choice unfair to students

Carolina Productions recently snagged Chris Young to perform. But if you’re like most of us, you’re probably wondering who exactly Chris Young is.

For those of us who aren’t in the know, Young isn’t just some guy with an ordinary name. He’s actually a country music artist. After wining a country music reality TV show, he has made a name for himself in the genre.

But with a diverse student population and many different music tastes, we disagree with Carolina Productions’ choice to bring another cowboy-hatted crooner when Columbia is already littered with country concerts.

When asked about its selection, CP said country is what students want, but Young was just one of three acts it was seriously pursuing. The other choices — hip-hop artist Kendrick Lamar and indie rock band Imagine Dragons — aren’t remotely related to country music, and since both of these acts fell through, it seems like CP went with its only available option.

Though negotiations are still ongoing, we fear Young’s price tag of $40,000 is too high for the student body to pay for a little-known artist.

It seems Carolina Productions didn’t take the necessary time to cater to the wants of the people who ultimately fund their organization: USC students.

And while we can’t speak for everyone on campus, it would have been nice if Carolina Productions tried a little harder to represent music that isn’t already widely available in town.