People should focus on living, not documenting

Facebook spectating wastes time, energy

This week, while we’re preparing for spring break and still trying to adequately cram for our last midterm, it’s easy to feel like there’s not enough time to do what you want or need to do. Your mind may wander during the long hours of being trapped in the library, and almost without realizing it, you’re looking at Facebook or Instagram and letting other people’s lives entertain you.

One of the many terms that Facebook has introduced to our culture is FOMA, or “Fear of Missing Anything.” It’s a real phenomenon, proven by correlations between the time people spend on social networking sites and their resulting despondent moods. According to the theory, people often become upset from the mere sight of someone else doing something more fun.

In reality, those people took a photo of themselves, posted it online and went on living their perfectly normal lives having the same kind of experiences you have every day. But your time was wasted staring at a screen when you could have accomplished what you needed to do.

As the majority of us are getting ready to go somewhere fun for break, be rid of schoolwork for a week and just cut loose, there’s no doubt that many Facebook posts will follow. But sometimes it takes actual effort to stop worrying about the next place you’re going or thing you’re doing and just be where you are at the time. Instead of reaching into your pocket or purse every time you want to remember something, just look around and fully experience the moment.