Unconventional play not meant as religious attack

Criticism of adversaries unnecessary, stems perpetuation of good messages

While we were relaxing on spring break last week, citizens around the nation were in an uproar over the latest controversial event: the Pioneer Valley Performing Arts Charter Public School’s decision to perform a biblical play revised to contain gay characters. More specifically, the play portrays the first two couples to be “Adam and Steve” and “Jane and Maybel.” In the midst of the political anxiety and tension over the upcoming supreme court cases of Prop 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), this piece of news was slightly more comical.

However, many don’t seem to share the sentiment. Over the past few weeks, numerous religious organizations as well as individuals and parents have petitioned and protested against the play, criticizing the school’s decision as blasphemous, hateful, religiously intolerant and assorted other vehemently expressed statements of disapproval. While these reactions are hardly surprising, perhaps Christian adversaries ought to recognize that sometimes, things shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

The play, “The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told,” was a comedy written in 1998 by Paul Rudnick. Like many other contemporary comedies, the purpose of the play is to create humorous characters and situations while incorporating themes and concepts relevant to modern-day society. Throughout the history of performing arts, nearly everything under the sun has been subject to satire. Race, religion, gender, political viewpoints and personal preferences have all been the topic of passing jokes. But very rarely do people convene to make a huge deal out of them because it’s understood that most of the time, things that are obviously satirical aren’t necessarily meant to offend or victimize a group of people. 

Rather than taking the play personally as a brash re-creation of the Bible that slanders the roots of Christianity, adversaries should consider taking it for what it is: a satire that alters a well-known story line to express other ideas. After all, such is the foundation and purpose of any art form. Just as the students in the art school should have the freedom of expression, spectators have the option to not view the play. Furthermore, the play has been successful on Broadway in the past, proof that this high school rendition is not some unique attempt to attack the moral tenets of our society.

On the contrary, the play is an attempt to broaden society’s perspectives. According to director Chris Rohman, the play is supposed to be “a thoughtful investigation of the meaning of faith and family.”

The Head of School Scott Goldman expressed that it highlights the “need for all people to come together to discover what they have in common.” And if they choose to remain indignant and offended, these angry contenders run the risk of overlooking the true message: a wholesome one, of love, acceptance and unity.