Acceptance message should be presented with clarity

Critics’ outrage over Brad Paisley, LL Cool J’s recent collaboration justified

Whenever we discuss a topic, it’s important for us to choose our words carefully. If we don’t take the time or effort to do so, we run the risk that others could easily misinterpret the meaning behind what we intended to say. That’s why many critics have overwhelmingly denounced country music star Brad Paisley’s and rapper LL Cool J’s questionably named new song, “Accidental Racist,” for its unintentional bad connotations.

In this musical collaboration, both wanted to spread an important message. As Americans, they felt our country needed to move forward and discuss our complex issues with race with each other once and for all.

It’s an idea that I couldn’t agree more with. Just because we have made such great strides in ensuring equality for all doesn’t mean we don’t still have problems to tackle. It’s disheartening to know that even in 2013, we’re a country that still has segregated proms and we still allow ourselves to get so riled over the symbolism of a flag — problems this song had hoped would at least get people talking.

But so far, it hasn’t. They failed to anticipate how others would react to the way they frame their message. For critics, this song represented a step backwards for our nation and perpetuated a gross misunderstanding of our nation’s complex history that any logical person, they claim, should find deeply offensive to their intelligence.

And while such critiques may seem harsh, they are in a lot of ways completely justifiable. Throughout the song, the lyrics (and the title itself) seem to suggest there’s isn’t a great difference between any form of racial prejudice, whether it’s overt or subtle, intentional or an “accident.” In this day and age, many thought it was appalling how anyone could even attempt to feign ignorance about the commonly held connotation of either words, symbols or items.

Not to mention, for most, the song doesn’t even read as a call for everyone to come together and seek harmony. Instead, the lyrics unfortunately read more like a “white man from the southland” complaining about how he has to think about the opinions and feelings of those different from him while a comically ignorant black male (from a ‘hood’ in the North no less) equates things that should never ever be compared.

Clearly, this couldn’t be further from the interpretation that either Paisley or LL Cool J wanted their listeners to take away from their song; instead of being revered for a great message that we should all try to follow in our own daily lives, they’re unfortunately being disparaged for not clearly presenting their message. It’s unfortunate, but at least this debacle reminds us of the importance of semantics.