Cirque du Soleil debuts in Columbia

<p>“Quidam” features visually stunning live performances from acts like the Italian Banquine and silk aerialists.</p>
“Quidam” features visually stunning live performances from acts like the Italian Banquine and silk aerialists.

Touring ‘Quidam’ show opens Wednesday at Colonial Life Arena

Clowns, aerialists and acrobats are taking the place of basketball players, college graduates and country superstars at the Colonial Life Arena this week.

The venue has been transformed into the magical world of “Quidam,” Cirque du Soleil’s latest touring show to hit the capital city. The seven-performance run began Wednesday night and will play to Columbia audiences through Sunday.

Jessica LeBoeuf, spokesperson for “Quidam,” has been with Cirque du Soleil for 10 years. She began her career compiling press kits and media clippings when she graduated from school, but now she travels with the show as its publicist.

Columbia has hosted Cirque shows in the past, including last year’s popular “Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour,” but this is the first stop in town for “Quidam.”

“It’s a show that’s never been here before,” she said. “It’s a Cirque du Soleil classic performance. We bring you high-flying acrobats, really strong aerial performers — everything that Cirque du Soleil is known for. We have a live band that performs every single note in the show. All of that dressed in handmade costumes (and) really funky makeup to create eccentric characters and a dreamlike scenery for you.”

The show features about 100 performers from 25 different countries, ranging in age from 20 to almost 60, making for quite a diverse crew.

“Wherever I am, I still get to hear different languages, learn about different cultures and let it kind of influence my life,” LeBoeuf said.

Unlike most traditional touring circuses, Cirque du Soleil does not feature animals.

“They really focus on the human body, dressing it up beautifully and kind of pushing its limits,” she said. “You can expect to be amazed.”

LeBoeuf couldn’t pick a favorite act in the show — “It’s like asking somebody who their favorite kid is” — but did reveal two elements in particular that have been crowd-pleasers across the country. First is the aerial contortion in silk, performed in the opening portion of the show. And then there’s the finale: Banquine, an Italian acrobatic act performed by 15 artists. Soleil’s Banquine act won a Golden Clown award at the International Monte Carlo Circus Festival in 1999.

But Cirque du Soleil is a combination of arts.

“Cirque du Soleil was created about 30 years ago to create a new genre of entertainment that wasn’t really there before,” she said. “There’s a lot of street performance, a lot of traditional circus art but also a lot of theater, music, eccentric costuming and makeup.”

LeBoeuf loves to hear audience reactions during the show.
“Especially in the South,” she said. “You really hear it. People will say, ‘Oh no, they didn’t!’ or ‘Oh no, they won’t!’”
Cirque du Soleil has 19 different productions, 10 of which are resident shows in specific cities while the rest tour big tops and arenas.

“At every hour of the day, there’s a Cirque show going on somewhere,” LeBoeuf said.

“Quidam” plays Thursday and Friday at 7:30 p.m., Saturday at 3:30 and 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 1 and 5 p.m. Ticket prices range from $29.50 to $97. USC students can purchase tickets with CarolinaCash in person at the Colonial Life Arena box office.