In Brief: April 2, 2013

Saluda Mayor found dead Sunday

The body of Saluda Mayor Frank E. Addy Jr. was found Sunday morning, and authorities say he died from a single self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, WIS reports.

Addy, 58, was found dead in his family’s Lake Greenwood home after his son received a text message that prompted him and his brother to check on their father, according to a Newberry County Sheriff’s Department incident report.

The Saluda mayor was the subject of a South Carolina Law Enforcement Division investigation concerning $27,000 of travel reimbursements in 2012, WIS reports.

SLED is working on closing the case against Addy, and Newberry County Sheriff’s Department and the Newberry County Coroner’s Office are conducting his death investigation.

—Kristyn Sanito, Editor-in-Chief

Homeless face shelter closure, fewer meals

Columbia’s homeless will have to find a new place to get a hot meal. Ebenezer Lutheran Church at 1301 Richland St. served its last free dinner Sunday, The State reports. Since the program started three years ago, it has regularly served about 150 people.

The church’s congregation council has made commitments to use its Parish Life Center for other events.
Coincidentally, Columbia’s winter shelter also closed for the season Sunday.

A representative from the Salvation Army, which partners with Main Street’s Transitions homeless shelter, said Transitions could accommodate more people with an additional $15,000 from the city.
“I certainly hope that no one goes hungry,” Salvation Army spokesman Seth Taylor said to The State.

—Sarah Genay, Copy Desk Chief