In our opinion: Colleges, lawmakers need to seek compromise

Despite barely offering any financial support for higher education in South Carolina, our state government constantly meddles in the day-to-day affairs of the state’s public colleges and universities. But in a proposed bill before the Statehouse to offer such institutions more freedom in managing important affairs such as construction projects or purchase quality equipment, we worry both sides aren’t looking at the bigger picture.

As it currently stands, the state requires public institutions of higher education to jump through hoops in hopes of saving the taxpayers’ money. If we want to construct new buildings, invite visiting professors or even purchase a simple microscope — even without the use of state funds — South Carolina law binds our colleges and universities into making choices that don’t necessarily match up with reality.

It’s already a struggle for many administrators of our state’s public colleges and universities to provide the best education they can for students. We don’t think it’s fair, or even necessary, they should have to wait on an already burdened bureaucracy to help them decide the best use of their funds.

However, simply breaking free of state control might not necessarily be the best option for anyone either. While some of South Carolina’s schools want to immediately pursue more independence, we don’t feel it would be the best option to simply let colleges to run wild with their newfound power.

We can’t run the risk of having too much regulation or barely having any at all. Instead, we hope our state’s lawmakers and our institutions come together and compromise for the good of all South Carolinians.