In our opinion: USC students should show support for Alan

It’s not every day that freak accidents occur so close to home, but Alan Martinez is proof they could happen to anyone. The 31-year-old USC law school student was hit by a drunk driver last September, resulting in broken bones and a brain injury that put him in a three-month coma. While Martinez has been slowly recovering, the Columbia community has convened to help him out, showing that tragic accidents can have a silver lining.

During the past four months, family, law school students and businesses around Columbia have been working together and planning fundraisers for the Martinez family to help pay medical bills and other recovery fees, something that USC students can, and should, participate in as well.

On Thursday, a large fundraising event will be held at 701 Whaley, and we encourage all students to take part. The banquet, which costs $25 per ticket in advance, includes an auction, drinks, catering by Breaker’s Bar and Grill and live entertainment. For the price of a Thirsty Thursday bar tab, we could attend what’s sure to be a great event and help out a family and fellow Gamecock in need. It’s a win-win. For those who unable to attend, donations can always be made online.

It’s inspiring to see such a large support system for Alan Martinez in Columbia, and we hope he recovers quickly. But more than just sending good wishes his way, let’s be an active part of that, too. Let’s go all in for Alan.