Letter to the Editor: Organizations need volunteers

USC community should contribute to CityServe

I am extremely proud to be part of a university community with heart. Our students, faculty and staff participate in many service projects and raise money for lots of important causes.

We know that a rich life involves finding ways to give back, and whether it’s the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, USC Dance Marathon to support Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, Relay for Life to support the American Cancer Society or collecting and growing food for Harvest Hope Food Bank, becoming a leader means recognizing our community’s needs and creating opportunities to give back.

I’m happy to co-chair One Columbia CityServe with Mayor Steve Benjamin and Paul Fant of SCANA. Mayor Benjamin is serving to inspire all groups in the city to work together, which he does so well. And Paul and I represent two large and important segments of the community of Greater Columbia. Paul embodies business and industry, and I represent the University of South Carolina and all not-for-profits that contribute to the rich fabric of Columbia.

Approximately 1,000 students, faculty and staff of the university have plans to be engaged in several projects during the week of One Columbia CityServe April 20 through 27.
I ask everyone in the USC community and beyond to think about your gifts and talents, and come out and serve on whatever day you can, in whatever way you can.

I promise you will discover rewards beyond the time you commit. Remember, it is in giving that we receive — I’ll be planting a garden for a school in Richland One. What will you do?

—USC first lady Patricia Moore-Pastides