Stars shouldn't be criticized for Cuba vacation

Laws limiting trade, tourism outdated

When photos first surfaced of Beyonce and Jay-Z in Cuba, a tiny tropical nation 90 miles off the coast of Florida, there was an unusual amount of news covered the vacation plans of one married couple — even if they are two of our country’s biggest musical stars. But when our nation’s lawmakers chimed in on the couple’s so-called insensitivity, I couldn’t help but roll my eyes.

Critics, such as Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, quickly criticized the couple for visiting the country he claimed is an example of political oppression at its finest. Rubio, among others, lambasted the couple for taking advantage of loopholes allowing American citizens to visit Cuba, despite our nation’s current embargo and tourism ban on the country.

But why do we continue to block Americans’ tourism, and why do we suddenly care about the Cuban government’s reported acts of oppression?

We don’t take such a stance when it comes to other countries with shaky human rights records, such as China, nor do we limit trade with communist countries, such as Vietnam. Despite it not posing any grave threat or danger to our country, why do our nation’s lawmakers continue to take an unreasonably tough stance against Cuba?

It’s outrageous that, even today, many people are unwilling to abolish the unnecessary laws against Cuba. Apparently, some still like to be victims of unrealistic fears due to their inability to move forward and leave the past behind.