In our opinion: Scholarships, bright students helpful for USC

It looks as if USC is getting smarter and smarter every day. Frequently known as an “up-and-coming university,” we’ll be sure to welcome yet another incredibly bright freshman class this fall, thanks in no small part to the numerous grants and scholarships our school offers.

For example, from an initial pool of more than 2,200 South Carolina Honors College applicants, the largest in USC’s history, 49 of the USC’s newest top scholars have been chosen. And while most scholarship winners will receiving awards for in-state students such as the Carolina, Hamilton and newly created Stamps Carolina scholarships, the McNair and Horseshoe scholarships help make USC more attractive for high-achieving out-of-state students.

Together, these scholarships significantly reduce the cost of a college education and provide recipients numerous resources to further their education through undergraduate research, study abroad and other educational projects.

But most importantly, adding brighter students helps to enhance USC’s overall academic reputation both in the rankings and in the world of business. As time goes on, this recent development, among others, like the Goldwater Scholarship, will make the value of a USC that much greater when it comes to students looking to gain that edge in an increasingly competitive job market.

We’re happy that top tier students are increasingly looking at, and choosing USC to further their education. They help give credence to what we’ve already known to be true: USC is slowly, but surely becoming a top-tier institution that attracts the brightest minds not only from our state, but also from across the country.