Crime Blotter: July 12 - July 21

Crime Blotter for July 12 — July 21

—An officer responded to an Emergency Call Box late July 12 after an intoxicated man had activated it. The officer found the man trying to enter Capstone House and noticed he was unsteady on his feet and had slurred speech. The man told the officer he was drinking with friends at a nearby house and had gone outside to smoke a cigarette. When he finished his cigarette, he could not find his friends. He was unfamiliar with the area and thought the Emergency Call Box would help him call his wife. After the officer tried to contact the man’s wife, mother and military base without success, they arrested the man for disorderly conduct because it was determined he couldn’t take care of himself.

— An officer responded to reports of an intoxicated male at West Quad early Sunday morning. The officer found the student sleeping and disheveled in front of the residence hall and smelling of alcohol. When he woke, the student was unsteady on his feet. He was transported to Baptist Hospital and issued a student discipline citation for underage drinking.

—Officers were patrolling early Friday morning when they heard eight to 10 gunshots at the corner of Barnwell and Devine streets. The officers drove toward the area and saw a car leaving the area. The passenger got out of the car without being told and put his hands on the police car and the driver was ordered out of the car. Both were handcuffed and put in the police car. Officers found an open bottle of Bud Light Platinum in the car’s cup holder and a handgun with a magazine in the glove box. The passenger initially denied shooting the gun but changed his story many times. Shell casings were found in the car and at the original scene. The driver and passenger were arrested for open container and the passenger was charged with shooting a gun in city limits.