Crime Blotter for August 18 through August 25

Crime Blotter for Aug. 18 – Aug. 25

— An officer was dispatched to a parking lot on Blossom Street in response to a person lying in the bushes late Wednesday night. The man appeared to be extremely drunk; he smelled strongly of alcohol, had his eyes closed and seemed to be unconscious, according to the report. The man had also wet his pants and urine was flowing out of his shorts and down his legs. When emergency medical technicians came to examine the man, he was boisterous and did not answer questions, only shouting that he has rights and could not be held against his will. When he finally answered questions from the EMTs, he answered them wrong, saying it was July and the day was Thursday. When given the choice between going to the hospital or going to jail, the man opted to go to the hospital. He then started making fighting motions before running towards Blossom Street. Officers chased him, knocked him to the ground and handcuffed him before he was transported to the hospital. When he refused tests at the hospital, he was arrested for disorderly conduct and transported to Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

— An officer was stationed at the Carolina Coliseum during class registration when a student attempting to register for classes kicked and broke a glass window and left the building, headed to the financial aid office. The student’s financial aid had been denied and he was instructed to go to the department’s office. Police couldn’t find the student but he was issued a student discipline citation.

Bates House Crime of the Week
— Early on the morning of Aug. 19, an officer was dispatched to Bates House in response to three students trying to smuggle a 24-pack of Bud Light into the residence hall. The students had been cursing at and making verbal threats to a resident mentor. The students also said they would “take him to court.” The students admitted to bringing the alcohol into the building but told the officer they were upset the RM had asked to look inside their bag. The officer informed them they’d be receiving student discipline citations and left. He returned 10 minutes later after another report of the students harassing two RMs, one of which made the initial call. The RMs claimed two of the students were listening to the RMs’ conversation through a door before entering the room and harassing them. The officer suggested moving the residents to new rooms.
— Amanda Coyne, News Editor

Briefs don’t include every incident from the last week, and suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Information could change as investigations continue.