In Our Opinion: Carolina Productions should revamp schedule

If there’s anything to take from Carolina Productions’ fall schedule, it’s that you’d better like comedy.

Just like last year, USC students should expect to get their fair share of laughs from staples like Comedy Open Mic Night and big-name comedians like the casts of “Girl Code” and “Guy Code.”

If those acts aren’t enough, there’s also going to be a musical comedian duo, a College Humor Live event, yet another big-time comedian.

Granted, there are some other genres represented: Nev Schulman from MTV docudrama “Catfish” and sports commentator Stephen A. Smith will also perform, but as with recent semesters’ lineups, Carolina Productions largely opted to pile on the comedy.

And to the group’s credit, they’ve included some fresh ideas, like Throwback Thursday movies, a screening of “The Walking Dead” premiere and a “Murder Mystery Dinner” on Halloween that is decidedly mysterious itself.

Still, it feels like Carolina Productions is slipping into a tired mold. Each semester, it seems like they’ve taken to repeating themselves, with schedules long on comedy shows and country concerts.

And as CP has pointed out, those comedy events do tend to be popular. But let’s not confuse a packed house for Nick Offerman and Seth Meyers with a student bodywide love for comedy. Carolina Productions has found an audience that it’s catering to well, but we think there’s a fine line between giving your fans what they want and falling into a rut.

We’re all for keeping what’s working, but a diverse student body deserves a diverse lineup, and lately, Carolina Productions has fallen short of delivering one. Until then, we’ll be watching Michael Jordan’s finest work — “Space Jam” — on Oct. 24’s Throwback Thursday.