Pornography addiction can threaten sexual well-being

Overexposure also linked to adverse mental health effects

Chances are that you think the people in your immediate proximity share nothing in common with you, but statistics might paint a different picture. Approximately 95 percent of males and 89 percent of females have admitted to an old habit shared by many: masturbation. It’s a normal and healthy habit that recent studies suggest promotes better health. However, a modern invention often paired with masturbation is proving to be potentially harmful to everyone: Internet pornography.

But is Internet pornography really that bad? Some could argue it provides an outlet for pent-up energy and can help relieve stress. If alcohol does not cause problems for the majority of its users, why can’t porn be a similarly pleasurable experience? It can. However, the problem resides in an overstimulation of the brain.

When an activity that produces dopamine is repeated several times, the brain releases the protein Delta-FosB. After the protein builds up, the need for the dopamine releasing activity gets stronger, resulting in compulsive behaviors. Delta-FosB effectively triggers the binging mechanism.

Dopamine is released when a person watches porn. The identical response occurs when a potential mate is encountered, encouraging successful copulation. Thus, regular porn viewing encourages the copulation with a screen and pixels. With each successful experience with porn, the brain becomes rewired. The physiological drive to be alone, participate in voyeurism and search for new sexual experiences becomes increasingly encouraged and reinforced. These are all opposite of the real-life experiences of emotional connection and interaction with another individual.

Changes within the brain eventually lead to changes within the physical world of an individual, leading to problems. Stanford University psychology professor Phillip Zimbardo suggests that pornography can cause arousal addiction, meaning people become addicted to new experiences and searching for something different. He also states that people are becoming disconnected from settings that are static and analogue, such as class, because of the desire for arousal. They are also generally disconnected from romantic relationships.

In addition to performing poorly in school and trouble developing meaningful connections with real people, symptoms similar to ADHD, OCD, depression and social anxiety have been tied to excessive porn usage because of the amount of intense overstimulation.

Probably the worst symptom of all for young males is erectile dysfunction. A survey conducted by an Italian neurologist showed that frequent porn viewing weakens the arousal signals sent from a numbed brain.

Despite the ever-increasing availability of porn because of the Internet, some are using the Internet to push back against the rising problem and to help one another, such as Reddit’s subgroup NoFap.

If you or someone you know is or might be struggling with a porn addiction, reach out for help.
There are many resources available, including 12 free sessions at the university’s Counseling and Human Development Center. Dr. Sarah Wright is a counselor at the health center who specializes in sexual health and has given lectures on porn addiction.