Trading the crown for class: Miss South Carolina USA returns to USC

Miss South Carolina USA 2013, Megan Pinckney, competes in her evening gown during the 2013 MISS USA Competition Preliminary Show at PH Live in Las Vegas, Nevada on Wednesday June 12, 2013.  She will compete for the title of Miss USA 2013 and the coveted Miss USA Diamond Nexus Crown LIVE on NBC starting at 9:00 PM ET on June 16th, 2013 from PH Live.
 HO/Miss Universe Organization L.P., LLLP.
Miss South Carolina USA 2013, Megan Pinckney, competes in her evening gown during the 2013 MISS USA Competition Preliminary Show at PH Live in Las Vegas, Nevada on Wednesday June 12, 2013. She will compete for the title of Miss USA 2013 and the coveted Miss USA Diamond Nexus Crown LIVE on NBC starting at 9:00 PM ET on June 16th, 2013 from PH Live. HO/Miss Universe Organization L.P., LLLP.

After reaching the top five at Miss USA, Megan Pinckney is back at school

Less than three months ago, Megan Pinckney was on the national stage, competing for the title of Miss USA in Las Vegas.

The fourth-year retailing student, who is also finishing her reign as Miss South Carolina USA, made it into the competition’s top five. After a sixth finalist was selected on Twitter, Pinckney was named fifth runner-up.

But after a semester off school filled with glitz, glamour and gym time, Pinckney is back in the classroom, finishing up her degree and getting back to normal college life. Well, almost normal.

“I had someone in class yesterday ask me if I was Miss South Carolina (USA), and it caught me off guard,” Pinckney said. “It happens once in a while. After I came back from Miss USA, I’d be in Publix, and people would recognize me.”

The transition from being a state titleholder preparing for a national pageant to being primarily a college student is a big one.

Over the course of a semester and summer dedicated to representing South Carolina, Pinckney has traveled across the country for modeling jobs and appearances and across the state for events at hospitals and schools.

Now, school comes first.

“It’s so weird. I’m used to traveling at least three times a week and being on a plane every other week, not sitting in a classroom,” Pinckney said.

Until she passes the crown on in November, Pinckney is still balancing classes and the title, though she said the directors of Miss South Carolina USA are keeping her schedule lighter to help keep her focus on school.

Once another woman becomes Miss South Carolina USA, Pinckney doesn’t see more competitions in her future.

“I’m done with pageantry after this,” Pinckney said. “I am hanging up my pageant heels … Once you’ve gone that far — you’ve ended up on a national stage — it would be so much to start over. It would be like asking a pro athlete to start over in high school. I never say never, but I’m not planning on it.”

Miss South Carolina USA titleholders can’t compete for the state crown again, so Pinckney would have to start over as a local winner before moving onto a competition like Miss South Carolina, which is part of the Miss America Organization. She competed in that pageant in 2011 as Miss Greater Irmo. She made it into the top 15.

With her heels hung up and the crown not far behind, Pinckney is looking forward to some traditional college fun.

“I was joking earlier with my friends, ‘At least I came back in the fall, so I have football,’” Pinckney said. She’s made sure none of her Miss South Carolina USA events will conflict with home games.

This time last year, Pinckney was hard at work preparing for the statewide pageant, where she won the title representing James Island.

“Last season, I was still getting ready for the pageant, so I couldn’t go to tailgates and enjoy the tailgate food. I’m excited to get fat again,” Pinckney said jokingly. “I’m excited not to have to worry about what I’m eating and not to have to get up extra early for the gym on gamedays.”