Crime Blotter for Aug. 27 to Sept. 6

Crime Blotter for Aug. 27 to Sept. 6

— An officer patrolling campus early Aug. 28 came across a student on his hands and knees vomiting in front of Columbia Hall. The student told the officer he had a stomach virus. The officer smelled alcohol on the student; he was also unsteady on his feet and slurring his words. Another officer arrived at the scene and spoke with the student’s friend, who said the student was drinking because “college was stressing him out.” The student and his roommate, who also admitted to drinking, were cited for possessing alcohol underage and given student discipline citations.

— A Richland County Sheriff’s deputy saw a man who appeared to be “grossly intoxicated” and acting belligerent at the football game against UNC Aug. 29. The deputy was requesting the man leave the stadium when a Lexington County Sheriff’s deputy approached to assist. The man was refusing to leave the stadium, and when given the option between leaving and being arrested, he told the Lexington County Sheriff’s deputy to arrest him. He also stated he was an officer in the military and began shouting about the price of his ticket. An acquaintance of the man approached the deputies and said he’d take the man away. The man shouted at the deputies as he walked away. When the Lexington County Sheriff’s deputy left to get food, the man ran up and accosted him, demanding he speak to a supervisor. The man was arrested for disorderly conduct and transported to Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

— An officer was dispatched to the Kappa Alpha house early Aug. 29 after its security system sent USC’s Division of Law Enforcement and Safety a “trouble alarm.” When the officer arrived, the system read “normal,” so he began to walk back to his car. He then smelled marijuana and determined it was coming from a cracked second floor window. The Kappa Alpha house director allowed him inside and the officer went to the room he smelled marijuana coming from. A student opened the door and the officer could smell marijuana coming from the room even more strongly. The student admitted to smoking and gave the officer his marijuana and a “socket” he used to smoke. The officer also confiscated six cans of beer and a bottle of liquor. The student was cited for possessing marijuana and possessing alcohol underage. He was also given a student discipline citation.

Briefs don’t include every incident from the last week, and suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Information could change as investigations continue.