'Obamacare' threat to youth's future earnings

Millennial need to be aware of detrimental national policy changes

In 1960, then-Sen. John F. Kennedy once said “it is the American tradition to stand up for one’s rights. …” For the youth of America, it’s important to keep this quote in mind, especially as it relates to one of President Barack Obama’s most controversial issues — the Affordable Care Act, more commonly known as Obamacare.

Two-thirds of Americans younger than 30 originally voted Barack Obama into office back in 2008, helping ensure his presidency. Yet, as a group, we’ve been living in blissful ignorance over the matter. We’re too busy Snapchatting to focus on the real issues and how these issues will affect us down the road.

As we age, our medical expenses become more and more costly. While many young people are healthy and do not have many medical expenses, they will be forced to pick up the tab of the older generation. Under Obamacare, health insurance companies will be barred from charging the elderly three times more than they do younger people. It only makes sense that insurance companies will have to begin to overcharge younger Americas on their premiums in order to make up the difference.

Logically, it makes sense for a young, healthy American to purchase a cheaper policy that matches their probability of becoming sick. Lower premiums would allow for more disposable income to be put towards a better standard of living or to help pay off college debt. However, Obamacare makes such a decision illegal; insurers are going to be forced to charge the youth extra, by government mandate, to pay for others. In essence, younger generations are being forced to delay their betterment of living.

Take, for example, young Americans in the city of Chicago. On average, they’re currently paying about $756 for health care premiums, but under Obamacare, that figure will skyrocket up to $2,268, an increase of 202 percent. In California, a hypothetical 25-year-old nonsmoking man will see his premium at least double under Obamacare’s new provisions. Even families aren’t immune. They potentially are going to see a rise to $7,186 in their premiums over the next decade.

With high unemployment rates and the cost of living increasing, how are Americans supposed to be able to afford taking more money out of already cash-strapped pockets?

According to the Associated Press, the Obama administration is preparing to spend an estimated $684 million on a propaganda campaign in order to swoon younger Americans into signing up for exchanges. A part of the propaganda team pulling the wool over the eyes of young Americans includes Lady Gaga and Jennifer Hudson.

Members of my generation need to shift their attention away from how many Twitter followers they have and the latest twerking celebrity and realize what is going on right in front of them. If they do not think for themselves, the youth of this nation will be brainwashed by the president’s campaign, which is designed to manipulate. It is our goals and ambitions that are about to be sacrificed this following year.