Students tailgate for Georgia game in Russell House

First-years learn cheers in ballroom

A large group of students cheered, shouted and groaned at the Gamecocks’ loss to the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday afternoon, but they weren’t at Sanford Stadium. They were in the Russell House Ballroom, attending Student Government’s and Carolina After Dark’s annual Russell House Tailgate Party.

The event is typically held for the first away game against an SEC opponent. The students, largely first-year students who had not previously attended a South Carolina football game, learned cheers and other gameday traditions that will be helpful for Saturday’s game against Vanderbilt.

“We did a lot of the cheers at the same time they’d be done at the actual game,” said Jourdan Simpson, SG’s Secretary of Student Services, who served as a spirit leader at the event. “A lot of the freshmen didn’t get a ticket to the UNC game, but, hopefully, if they go to the Vanderbilt game, they will know all the traditions and be up to date.”

From kickoff to the game’s end, students got as much of a gameday experience as SG and Carolina After Dark could pack into the ballroom.

“Everyone had a great time. The best part was that everyone stayed and sang the alma mater at the end,” Simpson said.

Students who attended the event received two loyalty points, which will move them up on the distribution list for student athletic tickets.

While no additional tailgate party is planned for this season, Simpson said it may be an idea to consider.

“It would definitely be successful if they added another,” Simpson said.