Walk Home Cocky launch date announced

New initiatives include Carolina Closet, water bottle refill stations

Walk Home Cocky, a safe walk program initially proposed by Freshman Council in February, has finally set a start date, Student Body President Chase Mizzell announced at student senate Wednesday.

The program will launch officially on Oct. 21, with training sessions for volunteer walkers to be held beforehand. Those dates weren’t announced. Mizzell also said he hopes to nail down university President Harris Pastides and Cocky himself to walk home the first students.

New initiatives

Sen. Lindsay Richardson and Student Services Committee Chairman Jonathan Holt presented a new program that would loan business clothes to students who can’t afford them. The program would allow students in need to borrow suits, ties and other pricey items that are often required for job and organizational leadership interviews.

“I didn’t even realize it was a problem until I had a resident come to me, unable to buy a suit for an interview,” said Richardson, a third-year political science student, resident mentor and the senate’s president pro tempore.

The Student Services Committee has reached out to “a few” organizations, including business fraternities, to collaborate on the project. The program would target low-income students who don’t have access to business clothes, said Holt, a second-year political science student.

“If they’re putting themselves through school or they come from a tough economic background but want to seize opportunities on campus, we want to make it possible for them to go to those interviews and get those opportunities on campus,” Holt said.

Students who borrow clothes would have to pay for them only if they did not return them or returned them damaged.

Holt also suggested starting a program that would allow students who live in off-campus apartments without recycling pickup to bring recyclables to campus for proper disposal.

Student senate is also working with the Residence Hall Association to bring more water bottle refill stations to campus and residence halls. A resolution to start this initiative is forthcoming and could be presented next week, according to Environmental Affairs Committee Chairman Josh Siegler.

RHA President Phillip Allan said that his group had worked with SG on a similar initiative before. All RHA officers have been elected and their senate should convene soon and begin presenting legislation, Allan said.

Senate seat filled

Deon Tedder, a law student, was sworn in as a senator at Wednesday’s meeting. He fills the last vacant seat in the School of Law’s senate delegation.

Only two senate seats are currently empty, making student senate already more full than it was at any point during its last session. Students in the School of Music and pre-pharmacy students in the College of Pharmacy may apply to fill the two remaining seats.

Ticketing trouble

Safety and Transportation Committee Chairman Kirkland Gray had trouble claiming his football ticket this week. He turned to his fellow senators for help.

Two senators — second-year business student Jake Sims and fourth-year broadcast journalism student Amanda Bishop — offered Gray step-by-step directions. Gray was confident he could properly claim his ticket upon adjournment.