Cranford Hollow to play Concocktions on Friday

<p>From left to right: Julius Deangelis, Phillip Sirmans, Eric Reid and John Cranford of Cranford Hollow are performing at Concocktions on Friday, Nov. 1.</p>
From left to right: Julius Deangelis, Phillip Sirmans, Eric Reid and John Cranford of Cranford Hollow are performing at Concocktions on Friday, Nov. 1.

Group tweaks southern rock formula

The sound of the South is changing a bit, and although there’s still a guitar and fiddle, South Carolina bands are doing things differently.

Just ask Hilton Head-based band Cranford Hollow, which has been making unique southern songs since 2011.

“We’re a rock ‘n’ roll band, but with a pulse behind it,” said lead singer John Cranford. “We just say it’s American-roots rock.”

What started out as a duo of Cranford and fiddler Eric Reed now includes bassist Phillip Sirmans and drummer Julius DeAngelis, and has become a Charleston-area sensation.

The band, formerly known as Cranford & Sons, just released its self-titled sophomore album and has been touring South Carolina, sharing its undefinable sound with an array of audiences.

“You can’t put a finger on what type of fans we have,” said Cranford. “We have rock and country fans, but it’s really anyone who will come to the bar and drink with us.”

Cranford said that with numerous original songs and nearly 30 cover songs prepared, fans won’t likely see the same show twice.

“We rarely write a set list,” he said.

He added that their performances cover anything from British singer-songwriter David Gray to obscure covers of songs by artists like blues singer Lightnin’ Hopkins.

No matter what the cover is, Cranford assures the band makes it their own.

“Some of it’s pretty weird,” he joked.

But the standout songs in their shows are their originals, created individually and collaboratively. Cranford said the band typically works together on songs to put the pieces of the puzzle together and create the finished product.

Cranford Hollow, who will be performing at Concocktions in Five Points on Friday, hopes to win over audiences Columbia. They’ve previously performed at local venues like New Brookland Tavern and The Art Bar, but Cranford said it’s been hard to fully win over the area.

“We want to build a market in Columbia,” he said. “And with this new record, the expectations are high.”

Although their newest record, which took nine months to complete, was released less than a week ago, the band is already looking ahead to the future. After touring Colorado in December, Cranford said the band will likely start working on a new record in January or February to finish by spring.