Crime Blotter for Oct. 18 to Oct. 25

— An officer was dispatched to South Quad on the night of Oct. 19 in reference to an alcohol violation. In the fourth floor hallway, the officer discovered a shattered beer bottle that appeared to have been thrown against a stairwell door, scratching the paint. A ceiling tile was also broken near the stairwell door. The officer found puddles of urine and human feces in the stairwell on multiple levels and a sign reading “stairwell” had been ripped from the wall and taken. A resident mentor brought the officer into the room of the student responsible. He had a party in his room earlier that evening and drank six beers. The officer found empty beer cans, beer bottles and cases of beer in the student’s room. Multiple unopened beers were in the freezer, as was one mini bottle of liquor and the missing “stairwell” sign. The student said he did not know who had caused the damage in the hallway or who had urinated and defecated in the stairwell. The student was cited for possessing beer underage and given a student discipline citation.

— An officer saw a man under the Blossom Street bridge drinking a beer around 11 a.m. on Oct. 21. The man ran away, crossing the railroad tracks and headed into the bushes. The officer could not chase him on foot “for the charge of trespassing on the railroad.” The officer later saw the man walking on Main Street. The officer approached the man and “advised him of the dangers of crossing the railroad tracks,” informing him he had been on South Carolina Department of Transportation property at the time. The man provided the officer with his ID and, shortly after, began cursing at him. The officer asked the man to lower his voice and stop using profanity, to which the man responded, “What do you want me to do, call you the n-word?” The officer said that was not necessary. The man continued to curse at the officer and was arrested for disorderly conduct.

— An officer was dispatched to the Sigma Chi fraternity house on the morning of Oct. 23 in reference to a stolen salad bar. The man who reported the salad bar missing said he knew it had been members of the fraternity, as he had heard a lot of noise the previous night and someone had barricaded him in his room by putting furniture outside his door. The fraternity’s chapter adviser arrived at the house later that day in reference to the man being barricaded into his room and told the fraternity members that call boxes outside the house would have captured video of the men “depriving the house of the salad bar.” Shortly after, three men confessed to removing the salad bar from the house, pushing it onto the front sidewalk. The man who was barricaded in his room said he did not want to press charges.

Briefs don’t include every incident from the last week, and suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Information could change as investigations continue.