In Our Opinion: Clowney saga shows need for better communication

Is the sky falling for our Gamecocks as we watch Jadeveon Clowney’s legacy tarnish after sitting out Saturday without warning coach Steve Spurrier?

Probably not, but that’s what the likes of ESPN want you to think.

A miscommunication like that between a high-profile player and his notoriously outspoken coach is the kind of story that sports journalists live for, but we can be thankful that most of the reporting was a bit sensational.

Unfortunately, one facet of the story is dead on: the concerning lack of communication.

First, there’s the obvious. Clowney should have made his decision to not play — and more importantly alerted his coaches — well before game time. A move like that would have been far more serious had he been in the NFL, considering the leagues ties with sports betting and their strict injury-reporting guidelines, as Gene Sapakoff of The Post and Courier pointed out this week.

Second, is the speculation that he may not be invested in this season and has his eyes on the real prize: the NFL. Yes, he’s repeatedly said that he’s fully committed and is too competitive to sit out on a season, but his play on the field has convinced some otherwise. Only Clowney knows for sure.

It’s all too easy to forget that Clowney is just a college student, but one that, unlike the rest of us, is publicly scrutinized for nearly every decision he makes. The pressure and criticism he faces is not unlike an NFL player’s, but he wrestles with them without the aid of an agent, because the NCAA doesn’t allow them for college athletes. For top-tier players, that just isn’t fair.

He’s also got both the adoration and scorn of South Carolina fans to weigh against his looming NFL career. The truth — and this is tough for Gamecock fans — is that Clowney has nothing to gain and everything to lose by continuing to play. Stellar play wouldn’t do much for his NFL stock. A bad injury would do everything.

Clowney doubtless wants to get through this season and play in the NFL, a final destination that’s been charted for him since his high school recruitment, but we think its safe to assume he also doesn’t want to disappoint his fans. It’s a stark conflict that even he may not be able to tackle.

Let’s not forget that unless he decides to sit out, he’s still got a season of football to play on top of all this drama. It’s no wonder he’s made some mistakes along the way.

All things considered, can we really be mad at Clowney if he wants to sit out? As Spurrier put it, he’s done far more for our school than many of us. He’s brought an unprecedented level of hype and excitement to Gamecock football, and for that, we should thank him.

Whether he plays through his injuries or decides to play a smaller role for the rest of the season and get healthy, what we want most — even more than his bone-crushing sacks — is for him to be successful.

And if that success means we won’t see as much of him, fans should stand by him. But, as much as we enjoy watching him play on Saturdays, we all hope it will continue on Sundays.

But in return, Clowney should be up front about his plans and what fans — and coaches — can expect of him. Because if there’s anything this episode has shown, it’s that communication is key.