Attorney General Alan Wilson visits USC

In 2010, Alan Wilson was elected South Carolina’s attorney general at the age of 37, making him the youngest state attorney general ever elected in the United States.

Wilson spoke to the College Republicans Thursday night, imploring more young people to get involved in the political process.

Wilson graduated from Francis Marion University in 1996 and went to USC’s School of Law, graduating in 2002.

After graduating from FMU, Wilson joined the National Guard, eventually called to serve in Iraq.

“Everything I have ever done right in my life was either a lesson I learned watching someone do it wrong, or when I tried to do it myself and did it wrong,” Wilson said.

Before going to work in the state attorney general’s office, Wilson held many jobs ranging from such fields as ditch digging, selling insurance and working for his father’s law firm.

Through these varied opportunities, Wilson said he saw what could be done to help and serve others and wanted to become a part of it.

“My love for public service comes from my service as an officer in the military; it comes from my service as a prosecutor in the court room, and I just love serving people,” Wilson said.

Wilson challenged the audience to always be committed, rather than being too involved. He encouraged students to dedicate time to specific things and not to do things just to “check the box, to get the resume bullet.”

Wilson illustrated his dedication to commitment with stories about his attorney general campaign.

Five weeks before the election, Wilson’s campaign was low on money but he said because of the commitment of supporters, they were able to rally together to win the election.

“I believe you’re tomorrow’s leaders,” Wilson said.

Wilson also told the audience to remember that leadership is not about the perks and the privileges, but rather about serving and doing things for others.

“What is important is not that your personal ideas get out on the field of play, but rather the best ideas for the organizations get out on the field of play,” Wilson said.

In his office and while serving in the military, Wilson has been one of the youngest in the group. He
said he has been surrounded by people who are intelligent and experienced and that it is important to surround yourself with people like that, rather than people who just make you look good.