Competitors cook up chili for annual festival

Chefs display homemade recipes of fall favorite.

The 2100 block of Greene Street had an extra kick this Saturday with the 27th annual Chili Cook-Off. Vendors, restaurateurs and homemade chili enthusiasts gathered to have their recipes tested by Columbia natives and visitors from around the area.

Eleven judges cast secret ballots after trying each unmarked cup of chili in the back room of Group Therapy. Chilis were judged in five categories: overall best chili, best vegetarian, best bar/restaurant, best hot and spicy and overall best set up.

Chef Gary Uwanawich took home the top prize. He credited his win to bacon-wrapped poblano chiles and is planning on opening a bacon-themed restaurant “Sizzle” in early 2014.

“Chili is the perfect combination of sweet and heat,” said Kristen Moore of Texas Heat, Carolina Sweet and 2012 overall best chili winner. “We come out to make our food and share our recipes, but really, we’re all here to raise money to help the overall mission, not to get the overall prize.”

Eventgoers could try a sample cup of chili from each tent for a minimum donation of $1, which benefited Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital’s Camp Kemo and The Hope Center. An additional award went out to the tent that raised the most money.

The Five Points Association held an “all call” for entrants a few months ago and allowed anyone who submitted a recipe to compete for the top prizes. Participants decorated their tents to match the theme of their chili, including a ninja tent from a Japanese restaurant and a “Breaking Bad” tent complete with blue sour cream.

Chili wasn’t the only draw to the hub of Five Points. Bands like The Other Brothers, Bossman, Atlas Road Crew and Calvin and Friends provided funky jams on the main stage. Children were able to play in the Little Peppers’ Place in a bouncy house and a Ladder 9 fire engine.

This year’s turnout was the largest in the event’s 27-year history, doubling last year’s attendance. Originally starting as an event for the bar Group Therapy, the Five Points Association joined in two years ago and helped bolster promotion and attendance.

“I love events like this because it shows that Five Points is such a vibrant part of our community,” said Higher Education and Student Affairs graduate student Thomas Wood. “It really is more than bars and nightlife, but a place where I can come out and have fun and give back to the community.”