Former Gamecock Kenny Miles expected to be released Tuesday after shooting

<p>Former <span class="caps">USC</span> running back Kenny Miles amassed over 1,300 yards as a Gamecock.</p>
Former USC running back Kenny Miles amassed over 1,300 yards as a Gamecock.

Shooter tried to rob Miles, police say

Former Gamecocks running back Kenny Miles was shot Monday afternoon in Irmo, police said, but he’s expected to be released from the hospital today.

Miles’ condition was stable Monday evening, and his injuries were no longer considered life-threatening, said Sgt. Curtis Wilson, spokesman for the Richland County Sheriff’s Department.

“That’s a good sign,” Wilson said.

He had been listed in critical condition when he was taken to the hospital shortly after 1 p.m.

The shooter was trying to rob Miles outside in a business park on Centrum Drive in Irmo, just off Broad River Road, Wilson said.

Miles was hit in his forearm and spent Monday night in the hospital so doctors could observe him, USC Athletics said in a release. He is expected to be released today.

The circumstances leading to the shooting weren’t known Monday afternoon, Wilson said.

The shooting spurred an outpouring of reactions on social media, including a tweet from first-year business student Martha Childress, who was paralyzed in a shooting in Five Points last month.

“Y’all pray for Kenny Miles please,” Childress said on Twitter. “It’s time for things to change in the Columbia area.”

Miles graduated from USC in May after picking up 1,341 yards and five touchdowns in his four-year career, including two in South Carolina’s Capital One Bowl win over Nebraska in January 2012.