Mizzell reflects on SG accomplishments

State of the Student Body produces few new initiatives

Student Body President Chase Mizzell used his State of the Student Body address as an opportunity to recall Student Government’s achievements during his half-completed term.

Mirroring university President Harris Pastides’ September State of the University speech, Mizzell broke the address down into five parts. He reflected on SG’s efforts to cultivate leadership and improve the lives of students while increasing school pride, community involvement and effective, transparent communication.

SG’s past and recent safety efforts were heavily discussed. The Safety Pathway to Five Points is still being developed after being initially proposed about a year ago, and the popular Carolina Cab system has seen “tens of thousands” of riders since its launch, Mizzell said. The recently implemented Walk Home Cocky safe walk program has had 250 students escorted to their residence halls and cars, and SG continues to work towards “concrete change to safety on campus.”

SG has a “renewed focus” on civic engagement as well, Mizzell said. He cited his trip to Washington, D.C. with the student body presidents of USC’s system campuses over fall break and SG’s mayoral forum as examples. The Student Lobby is also “reinvigorated” and working on policy material for its spring break trip to the nation’s Capitol to lobby South Carolina’s Congressional delegation.

Mizzell also lauded SG’s work on the Gamecock Pantry, set to officially open in McBryde Quadrangle A
on Monday.

Few new initiatives were introduced in Mizzell’s address. SG is working on developing a Braille menu for blind students and doing research on “how to better celebrate” USC’s traditionally black National Pan-Hellenic Council fraternities and sororities.