November features limited-release films

Rachel McAdams, Judi Dench star in lesser known movies

“Faust”
Release date: Nov. 15
Directed and co-written by: Aleksandr Sokoruv; Starring: Johannes Zeiler, Anton Adasinsky and Isolda Dychauk
Aleksandr Sokoruv’s adaptation of the Faust legend, based on Johann Wolfgang Goethe’s play and Yuri Arabov’s book, premiered at the Venice Film Festival all the way back in 2011. It will probably never play in Columbia and quite possibly the whole state, but one should seek it out in some format.

“About Time”
Release date: Nov. 8
Directed and written by: Richard Curtis; Starring: Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy
Richard Curtis, who wrote “Four Weddings and a Funeral” and wrote and directed “Love Actually,” has put a sci-fi twist on the romantic comedy/drama. It is boy meets girl, boy fails with girl, boy travels back in time to try again. It is like a British “Groundhog Day.”

“The Book Thief”
Release date: Nov. 8
Starring Sophie Nélisse, Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson
The novel “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak was released in 2005 and remained on The New York Times Best Seller list for more than 230 weeks. The film, about a young girl with her foster parents in Nazi Germany, could easily be an Oscar contender or another failed adaptation of a popular novel.

“Go for Sisters”
Release Date: Nov. 8
Directed and written by: John Sayles; Starring: Edward James Olmos, Lisa Gay Hamilton, Yolanda Ross and Isaiah Washington
John Sayles (“Eight Men Out,” “Lone Star”) wrote and directed this crime thriller starring Oscar nominee Edward James Olmos (“Stand and Deliver”).

“Philomena”
Limited Release: Nov. 22
Directed by: Stephen Frears; Co-written by: Steve Coogan; Starring: Steve Coogan, Judi Dench and Michelle Fairley
Oscar winner Judi Dench has already received an Oscar nomination for a performance in a Stephen Frears film, “Mrs. Henderson Presents,” and she could quite possibly rack up another one with their newest collaboration. It is based on the book “The Lost Child of Philomena Lee” by Martin Sixsmith, and it tells a story of a political journalist (Coogan) who researches the story of a woman (Dench) whose son was whisked away from her decades ago and who was forced into a convent.

“Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”
Release date: Nov. 27
Starring: Idris Elba, Naomie Harris and Tony Kgoroge
Morgan Freeman previously played the South African leader who spent 27 years in prison before becoming the president of the country. The Best Actor Oscar race is already packed, but Idris Elba (“Luther”) could snag a nomination, making Mandela one of the few historical people to be portrayed by two different actors who both receive Oscar nominations for their performances.

“Nebraska”
Release date: Nov. 22
Directed by: Alexander Payne; Starring: Bruce Dern, Will Forte, June Squibb, Bob Odenkirk and Stacy Keach
Alexander Payne (“About Schmidt,” “Sideways,”) shot his newest dramedy in black and white, and earlier this year it premiered at the Cannes Film Festival, where Bruce Dern won the Best Actor award. When it comes to films, Payne is always good.