OMSA celebrate Native Americans

Heritage month features variety of cultural events

Drum and dance performances, speeches from Native American chiefs, art exhibits and discussions on Indian mascots and nicknames are only some of the events honoring November as Native American Heritage Month.

USC’s Office of Multicultural Student Affairs is hosting an event every Monday this month, but there are many other events being hosted by the city of Columbia as well.

“With our office, we really wanted to do some things that are a little bit unique and different, I guess you could say, for this year,” said Nakia Strickland, assistant director of OMSA. “I really wanted to do some things that were kind of out-of-the-box.”

The state of New York first declared an “American Indian Day” in 1916, but it was not until 1990 that November was selected as a month-long recognition of Native Americans and their history, culture and traditions.

“I think this month is very important because it allows our students to really gain insight and knowledge about the history, the culture and the traditions of Native Americans,” Strickland said. “We definitely have a strong Native American presence in South Carolina, and so just bringing that to life for our students on this campus is just something that’s definitely very important.”

OMSA kicked off Native American Heritage Month with a drum and dance performance by members of the Catawba Indian Nation from Rock Hill on Nov. 4.

Chief Chad “Corntassel” Smith visited USC on Nov. 11 to speak about the need for native leadership and share his leadership lessons. Smith was the principal chief of the second-largest Native American nation in the U.S. from 1999 to 2011.

On Monday, Courtney Lewis, assistant professor of anthropology, hosted a discussion entitled “What’s the big deal with Indian mascots?” which addressed the prevalence of Indian mascots and nicknames among high-profile American sports teams.

The event tackled the topic of how these cultural rituals for sports are actually symbols of disrespect to Native Americans. More than 115 professional associations have recommended banning the use of Native American mascot imagery because of the devastating effect they have on Native American children and adults.

To finish this year’s celebration, Multicultural Student Affairs will host “Honoring the Animal,” an art exhibit with 25 panels of text and photographs, in the third floor hallway of Russell House from Nov. 25-29.

The display will highlight Native Americans and their use of animals in Catawba and Cherokee pottery and oral tradition.