World-class artists to accompany USC Symphony Orchestra

Jiapeng Nie
Jiapeng Nie

Conductor Zonghui Dai, Cellist Jiapeng Nie to accompany group

As guest conductor Dai Zhonghui discussed musical arrangements for his upcoming concert, he spoke in melodies, sounding out in song how he wants the various arrangements to work out. It’s just one of many ways that the conductor demonstrates his mastery of the music.

Dai Zhonghui is the guest conductor for the upcoming University of South Carolina Symphony concert, debuting Nov. 12 at the Koger Center. He joined the faculty of the Central Conservatory of Music in Beijing in 2002 and has conducted and given classes all over the world, and this concert marks his first collaboration with the USC Symphony Orchestra.

“In the beginning I was thinking over all of Tchaikovsky’s music, but finally I changed the idea into one of Brahm’s overture. I like that piece,” Dai said.

The concert highlights the work of Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, including Variations on a Rococo Theme, op. 33 and Symphony No. 4, op. 36 in F minor.

“My first choice always is Tchaikovsky, because he wrote beautiful melodies, and I think the pieces you hear are always very touching, very passionate,” Dai said.

Tchaikovsky was one of the very first professional Russian composers, and his compositions were regarded as bold and revolutionary in his time.

“The Tchaikovsky music always gives people more energy. I think people will love to hear more Tchaikovsky, especially the cello concerto,” he said, grinning. “Oh, that’s one of the best!”

Variations on a Rococo Theme, op. 33 is an unusually cello-centric piece for Tchaikovsky, and the USC Symphony is bringing in another guest, celloist Jiapeng Nie, to help perform it.

Nie, who studied in his native China, currently performs in Germany but is a special guest for the upcoming concert.

“It’s my favorite cello work,” Nie said of Variations on a Rococo Theme.“I’ve played it so many times together with different orchestras.”

“He came from a musical family,” Dai said of Nie. “His father and mother were my schoolmates. We’ve known each other for a long time, but this is [our] first time playing music together.”

“I am really looking forward to the concert,” Dai sai, enthusiastically. “This is the first time I am working with (the) USC Symphony. I like the students; I like all the players. I think the concert is going to be good.”