'Because the Internet' demonstrates diverse talents

Childish Gambino’s new album, “Because the Internet,” opens with “Crawl,” a strangely compelling fusion of harsh beats, soaring vocals, a woozy backdrop and verses that are both energetic and laid back.

It almost defies categorization, leaving the question: What kind of album is this going to be?
As it turns out, “Crawl” is like the album as a whole: scattered, diverse and deeply enjoyable.

Donald Glover has stepped up his game, in both lyrics and production, from past efforts “Camp” and “Royalty.” In the past, he’s substituted theme for verbal dexterity, punctuating autobiography and braggadocio with clever turns of phrase.

Childish Gambino’s new album presents different sound

On “Because the Internet,” which will be released Tuesday, however, he has more on his mind than just himself. Themes of disconnection, loneliness and the search for romantic connection permeate the album.

The bouncy “Sweatpants” is the closest thing to classic Gambino on the album. On the other songs, he’s heading in new directions, which isn’t to say he lacks his old energy; he’s just more sparing with it, which lends each earnest moment far more power.

Nearly every song on this album works, despite their differences.
The jazzy, laid-back “Shadows” coexists with the energetic marathon that is “The Party,” just as the dark, moody “No Exit” lives side-by-side with the chillwave-inspired “Flight of the Navigator.” Experimentation suits Gambino well.

Making all of these styles work requires technical skill, and Glover steps up to the plate. His rapping on songs like “The Worst Guys” and “The Party” brings to mind Kendrick Lamar’s expressiveness, and his singing on “Telegraph Avenue (‘Oakland’ by Lloyd)” is comparable to Frank Ocean’s on “Channel Orange.”

That isn’t to say the album doesn’t have its problems. It lacks cohesion by design, a choice that pays off musically but hurts it as an album. The hooks dominate some songs, making them repetitive on close listening, and some of Bino’s old punchline rap styling — “gut n***as, so Kurt Vonne,” “girl why is you lyin’ / girl why you Mufasa” — seem out of place alongside the depth of other verses.

Despite these flaws, the album remains vital and enjoyable.

“Because the Internet” closes with the song “Life: The Biggest Troll,” featuring a trippy beat as Glover philosophizes about how we hide ourselves, lose track of our identities and find ourselves unable to connect with others. Not every song on the album shares the same thoughtfulness, but most do.

For anyone involved in the rap game that previously dismissed Glover as a comedian playing at rap or for general music lovers that haven’t gotten into his music, this is an album to pick up.